Friday, July 13, 2007

The Land of the Laid-back

Hello again! Hopefully the few occasional readers I have picked up haven’t died from starvation of an empty bowl. I have just returned from a much needed vacation in to the Caribbean.

For anyone who hasn’t been, the Caribbean isles are a place of their own and while on my trip I was reminded of a few things I thought I would share.

First, time as we know it transforms into the schedule of what-is-felt-like-doing. It is perhaps the only place where the customs/immigration officer closes up shop and disappears not because its closing time, but because he got hungry and needed a sandwich. Forty-five minutes later he strolls back carrying a small bottle of Ting and reopens.

Second, it is perhaps the only place (or the only place where I have been) where you will see both a chicken and a goat literally cross the road while you are walking or driving along. Why’d the chicken cross the road? Another story for another entry. Just know that they do. Everyday.

More interestingly, I learned that the British Virgin Islands are the second largest source of foreign direct investment in the world (behind Hong Kong) with over US $123,000,000,000. Yikes! Billions!! Who knew? Clearly, there must be some kind of tax advantage.

Lastly, while spending my day lazily swimming off some beaches and drinking Painkillers (the official drink of the BVI), I was reminded of how much easier my fat floats while in saltwater.

Take a summer get-away? Tell me what you learned…

Cheers!

0 comments: